Welcome to our website !

Two genders Two Tails

This blog is undergoing some changes

The Road to the GIC (Gender Identity Clinic) Part 2

By 22:35 , , , , , ,



Welcome back to 'The Road to the G.I.C! 


On this post, we move on from 'The Road to the G.I.C (Gender Identity Clinic) Part 1' so we left off where I got my referral to Leeds G.I.C. I was so happy which it did take more effort that was required to do this but hell with it I was being referred!


I messaged friends to say I was referred, I put it on Facebook and got so much positive feedback and messages from people and how it has inspired them to move forward with their transition also… It was only 2 months later everything got weird…


I got another letter through the door and that was a letter to say I was due to an appointment which was weird as I was told by the clinic it would be months, it didn’t say it was from the Gender Identity clinic or anywhere in fact or what for just that it was for? Just for it to be conducted at my house.
I couldn't find that letter, it got postponed but this was the next letter that followed
I went on Facebook to find out if the process had changed in the G.I.C as I was told I would have to go to Leeds/phone screening first and then another afterwards. The letter mentioned none of this. So, with all the confusion I rang and it turned out it was (if you read part one) another referral for Mental Health Assessment! This was concerning as I was asking myself; “Did my clinic lie to me?” or “Have I been referred at all?”



Have you ever watched those moves or cartoons where the camera zooms in or out on the character when something bad has happened??? Yeah, that is what that moment felt like! I was in total shock at first that I was yet again referred for Mental Health Assessment, I didn’t know what to think, I found it hard to breathe, I felt dizzy and sick… I wanted to explode but instead, I took a deep breath and did it for a minute or so, then I decided to pick up the phone and rings Leeds Gender Identity Clinic.

F.Y.I - Having your NHS number is handy when you ring This is also on your Birth Certificate. Anyway, when I got through I gave my details, it was confirmed that I was too on the list and they received my referral in Feb (it was in March when this conversation took place) and was told in a few months to expect a letter for a screening which would take place over the phone. This would be some lifestyle questions etc etc.

Funnily enough a couple of weeks later just after I got offered a job (the job is for another post so bear with me on this) I got a letter through the door asking me to ring Leeds G.I.C to make an appointment for when this screening would take place. I soon booked the call for 20th April at 9am and the ball had officially started to roll slowly.


The day quickly came and is a day I will never forget for many reasons mainly because it was good, bad and ugly… Well Ugly, good than bad. I thought like most NHS appointments they would ring me and they would be late by 10/15 minutes, so a few minutes before I needed to go to the loo and I thought I wouldn’t rush… Big mistake as the phone rang bang on 9am so I had to finish up on the loo while on the phone… Pretty embarrassing!

The call

The questions were about them getting to know me and what I wanted, how I felt and where did I see myself going. I was firm on what I wanted and told them of my plans of going to the gym, planning learning to drive and that I just had managed to get into employment. This was a massive positive for me.

What has this got to do with anything?

Learning to drive, losing weight and going to the gym are goals and this helps mentally, this is trying to lead a normal life really rather than sitting and doing nothing letting depression get hold of you. Easier said than done for sure, but from talking to the G.I.C that is what they liked, the gym helps to relieve stress and help you mentally. Setting goals and trying to be as healthy as you can be will help you go through the stages and help to progress on my journey quicker. That was the feedback on the phone I got, and if all goes well and I’m still driving towards those goals then I might only need 2/3 visits before I get passed the next stage.

Back to the call

I was asked about storing sperm which I declined as I’ve never been a kid person well at the baby stage anyway. I don’t see me cleaning crap from a child’s arse or when it explodes up their back or worse if they’re wearing those onesies…. In the feet part from what I was told. EWWWWWW!
I said if it comes to kids then I will happily look at adopting. For people that have been following me, I’ve always said you don’t have to be blood to be family.

I was asked about surgery which straight away I said about S.R.S. (Sex Reassignment Surgery) there are 3 types of procedures and they are;



  • Where they make the area look aesthetically like a vagina. (Designer Vagina)




  • A working Vagina to where I would be able to pee and also be able to have sex, but would be dry (The G.I.C words not mine) [Working Designer Vagina]




  • Another procedure which would be highly unlikely due to how dangerous and risky it would be where they take and use a bit of your bowel that creates mucus when having sex, but this for me would be interfering with a very important organ that is major in my life which isn’t for me and suffering from bowel issues from the age of 4 isn’t something again I want to interfere with… A working vagina it is for me.


Another F.Y.I: I’m lucky enough to have open friends that have gone through the surgery and have been so open and said that they do get wet so it's all good… So yes for people that don’t know about sexual reassignment surgery (SRS) you still can organism how intense that is I don’t know nor have I asked anyone, but also everyone is different.
When I asked about this on the phone they confirmed this and said it depends on how much the individual was for pre-cum (again their words not mine) I think when it happens, I’m in for a shot. Also depending on your genetics depends on how big your boobs could grow. Like they will be unlikely for D's but possible for me I could get B or C (what I am now with the breast foams)

I was told at the end of the call I should be expecting a letter for my first appointment around December/January and that they will have a larger workforce which will help to control and bring down the wait times. All I can say is that I will be documenting it all.

That is all for this post, there will be another one on the way soon but also it will go from being about Leeds G.I.C to talking about my troubles getting to see an Endocrinologist. Which was pretty intense.


Thinking of a friend


After the call from Leeds G.I.C it was a bit of a bittersweet thing, as I’m happy that I’m finally progressing but behind the scenes and this wasn't mentioned during this post. There was one person that I got close to via Facebook from a makeup group and she watched most if not all my lives on Facebook. She was the first person I would tell when it came to my transition and a few other things. I was always met with positivity and the feedback was always great. Unfortunately, she passed away just over a week before the interview with Leeds G.I.C and after I got off the phone with them I broke down in tears. I will never forget when I broke the news that I got my referral to Leeds G.I.C and the reply I got. All I can say is I will never give up just like you never gave up on me. R.I.P my friend every massive step I take I will always think of you and it will never be the same. Thank you for your support on my lives and for my transition. I will never forget it as I will never forget you. I'm gutted you will never get the chance to see me as the person I will become but I will I will make sure I will own it as you would want me. Goodbye hun R.I.P 




Thanks for reading

Sarah

You Might Also Like

0 Post a Comment